Welcome to Best Online Universities, LLC! We develop top quality higher education websites to help students accomplish their career and education goals. Our sites contain a robust catalog of over 1,000 accredited online degree programs offered by both non-profit and for-profit institutions.
To learn more, you can click on each section below to jump to helpful information and resources about online colleges and universities. You can also visit our blog, which covers these relevant topics and more.
What are the Best Online Universities?
We used the CollegeNavigator tool from the National Center for Education and Statistics (NCES) to help us to find some of the best universities in the country offering online programs. In this section you’ll find excellent, accredited schools with a variety of online and hybrid certificate, undergraduate, and graduate degree programs to choose from (source: NCES.ED.gov: CollegeNavigator, data 2018).
Purdue University - Purdue University is one of the largest accredited online colleges, with degree programs available in a wide range of subject fields. Purdue University is committed to general education, a student-centered service and support approach, and applied scholarship in a practical environment.
Liberty University - Liberty University is a Christian research university with both campus and online classes available. Join over 100,000 students across the globe, and earn an accelerated, accredited degree online through an efficient and flexible format that helps students achieve their academic and professional goals.
Rasmussen College - Presenting an array of bachelor’s and associate’s degrees in such varied fields as accounting, healthcare management, justice studies, nursing, and technology and digital design, Rasmussen College’s online programs also offer students full career development training ”” including resume and cover letter guidance, mock interview prep, and efficient job search.
Antioch University - "Every passionate learner deserves the opportunity to advance their career and personal accomplishments. At Antioch University, our online degree options ensure you have the best opportunity to continue your education without putting your life on hold. Find an inspiring degree today, and begin your pursuit of a successful career and meaningful life.".
Colorado State University - Global Campus - "CSU-Global has met and exceeded its goal to create a digital learning environment that rivals the best traditional degree programs. At CSU-Global, your virtual classroom is designed to offer the same learning opportunities you’ll find at brick-and-mortar colleges and universities — and more — on a schedule that fits your life.".
Florida Institute of Technology - "Florida Institute of Technology (commonly called "Florida Tech" or "FIT") is a national, private, not-for-profit, technological, coeducational, doctoral-granting, research-intensive university. It is primarily residential, though it offers select degrees online and at off-campus learning locations throughout Florida, as well as in Alabama, Maryland, New Jersey, Missouri and Virginia.".
Grantham University - "Grantham University has an extraordinary purpose: We serve those who serve, and those who want to make a difference. We help those who need a second chance, and all those who never had a first chance, build successful lives through our unique curriculum and personal mentoring approach. Our graduates will have the most impact in strengthening our nation, and in turn, our world.".
Johnson and Wales University - "At Johnson & Wales University, we’ve developed a range of student services designed to make sure you have the tools and support you need to succeed. Our accredited online degrees place career-relevant curriculum at the core of the educational experience. All of our programs provide experience-based learning and plenty of practical opportunities to build your skills.".
Northcentral University - "Northcentral University educates professionals throughout the world and provides an accessible opportunity to earn a U.S. regionally accredited degree. Our highly credentialed faculty provides students one-on-one mentorship via advanced delivery modalities. At NCU, we are commited to helping students achieve academically and become valuable contributors to their communities and within their professions.".
University of Wisconsin Colleges - "As a student in a UW Flexible Option program, you will make progress by demonstrating what you know, whether that knowledge was gained through prior coursework, military training, on-the-job training, or other learning experiences. By emphasizing what you know rather than how much time you spend learning, this flexible format lets you advance toward a UW degree or certificate at a pace you set.".
If you want to know more about any topic related to online education, it’s always a great idea learn from an expert. Below are some of the questions we asked Dr. Marina V. Kostina, which we hope will provide further insight and help you find the best online college to fit your needs.
Online Education Expert Dr. Marina V. Kostina
Answers Your Most Pressing Questions
- What should online institutions be doing to secure their reputation in the space of higher education? Read More
- What qualities make someone a good candidate for online education? Read More
- What are the benefits of online education compared to traditional learning models? Read More
- Are there any disadvantages of online education, and can they be overcome? Read More
- How will online education evolve in the next 10 years? Read More
- How will federal or state regulation and legislation impact online education in the coming years? Read More
- What challenges do educators face in an online learning environment and what is being done to overcome those challenges? Read More
- How are traditional universities incorporating online education into their curriculum? Read More
- Over the past 5 years, what are the most notable online learning developments? Read More
How Do Online Classes Work?
An online school is a merger of the Internet and the post-secondary classroom. Technology has made it possible for students to take tests, debate with their fellow students, and follow-up with instructors from their home computer. The difference between online colleges and their traditional counterparts lies in the format — Internet-delivery versus face-to-face instruction.
The chart below provides a useful comparison of online and traditional learning to help you decide if taking online classes is the right choice for you:
|Traditional Programs||Online Programs|
|Where are classes conducted?||In an assigned classroom on campus||Anywhere with access to a computer and the Internet|
|How are classes conducted?||Classes often consist of group discussions, lectures, and other types of in-class exercises||Online classes are conducted entirely via the Internet and requires attendance at few, if any campus class meetings|
|How will I get to know my peers and instructors?||Students and staff are present in the classroom and faculty have office hours||Students and staff are present in online discussion forums and faculty provides personal feedback via email or web conferencing|
|Will I need to come to campus?||Onsite class attendance is required||Some online courses require students to attend on-campus exams or events; others require no campus attendance|
|How are exams and assignments given?||Exams are administered on-campus and assignments are typically submitted in class||Exams are delivered online or proctored at a local testing site; assignments are typically submitted via email or through a course management system such as Blackboard|
Is Online Learning Right for You? – Additional Resources to Help You Decide
When choosing an online school, there are several factors to consider. Our library provides a variety of articles and resources to help students make decisions about an online education. Our most popular articles listed below will provide you with answers to your most common questions and links to additional information.
- Advantages of Online vs. Traditional Universities: If you’re considering online education, this article provides several reasons why it’s a good idea. From flexible scheduling to customized instruction, taking classes online provides students with the freedom to work at their own pace from any location.
- Accreditation: What It Means, Who Accredits, and Why It’s Important: Accreditation is an important credential to look for when researching an online institution. By attending an accredited school, you can be sure that your degree will be recognized by employers and other institutions. This article outlines the accreditation process as well as provides helpful information about accrediting bodies and their assessment criteria.
- Top Web-Savvy Professors: There are many exceptional teachers out there making headway in the online learning space, and the professors on this list are working hard to make web-based communication technology an integral part of the lifelong learning experience for their students.
- How To Transfer Credits Between Accredited Online Colleges: Credit transfer is assurance that previously earned credits will apply towards your desired degree program. If you plan to transfer colleges, whether from one online program to another, it’s important to understand what types of credits transfer. You’ll find this information and much more in our article on how to maximize your educational investment.
- Important Time Management Tips for Online Students: Time management is an important skill for students studying in online. We’ve provided some useful time management and study tips any student should implement, but that are especially useful for online students.